[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 08:04:50 -0700

Hi Charlie,

Charlie Clark wrote:

Am 29.04.2007 um 11:12 schrieb Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki):

I agree with Ithamar that content is of the highest priority; and given the high concentration of Haiku developers in Europe, it is pretty easy to tell on which side of the pond you are more likely to get more and better technical content for the conference. Granted, you don't have to be a core Haiku dev regularly contributing code to give a technical presentation; but having presentations by the core devs *with name recognition* is what will give the highest value to the event (or the highest ROI, as they say in business).

This sounds good but what about the reality: the handful of real Haiku developers don't need to give each other presentations. I know, I've hassled them often enough about it.

What can I tell you: hassling the engineers it's part of the making a good show. You don't have to like it, the engineers may not like, but that's the reality.

If the agenda is about building brand identity then you're right the two "brands" will compete for attention. But what's in a name? I really must take exception at "subset of BG" as this shows a distinct lack of appreciation of what BeGeistert is.

Building a distinct brand and identity is certainly an important part of any show/conference, and it is intrinsically important to building value for your event and project. Whether Haiku and/or the devs recognize or even care about this, I can't truly tell and it's another matter. I guess this is one of the non-developmental areas that Haiku Inc. would handle.

I am sorry that you take my suggestions the wrong way. This is not about what BG is or has been, but what I thought WalterCon should be.

Yes, we don't make a lot of noise about BeGeistert and yes I (I really am to blame) don't write a lot of reports about what went on but that is because the most important thing is actually being there and not having an overinflated idea of our own importance.

It's the small group mentality; nothing wrong with it, but I am hoping that Haiku (and Waltercon) will outgrow it for its own benefit. You are going to get more of the much needed developers sooner that way.

You may not like or even have an aversion to what you call "making noise", but that's how Haiku has recently reached a higher profile leading to things like GSoC and more exposure in the media beyond OSews (Thom, please take no offerense!). Again, you don't have to like it, and that's ok; but I don't think you can say that is has been a bad thing for Haiku.

Anyway, it's all IMHO and FWIW, of course. It's not like I dictate what WalterCon should be and where anyway. :)

Cheers,

Koki