[openbeos] Re: Waltercon 07

  • From: Thom Holwerda <slakje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 21:35:50 +0200

> I suggested that WC be held in Europe this year because most of the
> active Haiku developers are there, so your chances of getting more of
> them under the same roof is much higher, increasing thus the possibility
> of putting together a program that can be *more* attractive to a
> *broader* target audience.
>
> Thanks to SCaLE, the Google Tech Talk and GSoC, Haiku has received quite
> a bit of exposure beyond the small BeOS circle. It is now the time to
> exploit the momentum and give those developers who find the ideas behind
> Haiku attractive a compelling reason to attend the event.
>
> Showing how far Haiku has come is cool for the regulars and old-timers.
> But potential newcomer developers have different needs. Haiku has to
> start sharing knowledge with those developers who may find the platform
> intriguing, as a way to lower their learning curve with the ultimate
> goal of helping them jump on the bandwagon. Waltercon is the single
> greatest opportunity to do so in both quantitative and qualitative terms.

Were WalterCon to be held in Europe, I can go there to write detailed
reports for OSNews, hopefully doing my own (little) part in what you
described above. There is little I can promise though, sadly, since
OSNews is a voluntary effort so most of the cost of going/staying there
would probably rest on my own shoulders (it might be OSNews' owner chips
in, but I don't know).

Thom