[openbeos] Re: Preferences/File Help

  • From: DarkWyrm <bpmagic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:57:20 -0500

>Does anyone think that it would be of value to try to
>get a list of symbols(nm) in the kernel and library files
>or is this getting to close to reverse engineering for
>some of you?
>
>And going even further, has anyone tried to disassemble
>the files?    (The kernel, BTW, yields little information,
>at least to my novice eyes.)
>
>--
>timothy.covell@xxxxxxxxxxxx
I have. I don't know about other countries, but US law allows for reverse
engineering for compatibility.  Perusing the symbol table has proved very
interesting in understanding the servers. objdump works nicely for this task.
While we are allowed to RE, we are, repeat, *NOT* allowed to distribute such
listings. In some instances, it will prove almost necessary, such as for
supporting the registrar, which, BTW is visible only by a ps command from the
Terminal and is not mentioned in the BeBook at all and only in a listing of
the Bootscript in the Be Newsletters.

-DarkWyrm