[openbeos] Re: Icon Design Contest submission

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:45:25 +0200

On 2006-08-14 at 04:50:47 [+0200], "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)"
<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Curtis,
>
> It does not matter that this is an open source project; the problem with
> being so open is that the line between what is a discussion that leads
> to a decision and the decision itself becomes blurred. The result is
> that you have lots of bits and pieces of information about a single
> topic spread all over the place, some of which may even contradict one
> another, and making sense of it all can be difficult and open to
> interpretation. What looked like a simple "we are having a contest;
> submit your work and everyone will vote to choose the best" message
> (that's what I thought it was from reading the announcement) seems to
> have turned into something different that few know what exactly is.
>
> Specifically, although I understand everything that has been said, it is
> still unclear to me how Haiku plans to come out with a new icon set.
> Statements such as "we will discuss" and the like are good generalities,
> but do not clearly define how you will come up with the icon set that
> Haiku needs, given that no single icon set is chosen from the contest.
>
> So, artists will submit their work, people will vote (or rate) the icon
> sets, and then what? Will you mix and match the best rated (don't know
> if that is viable)? Will someone (from Haiku?) create an icon set based
> based on the submissions and the feedback from the community? What am I
> missing?
>
> Expecting people to follow/read all the posts on mailings lists and
> forums is not realistic. Which is why, if you think in terms of both
> building/growing the community as well as that of presenting the project
> to the world with a consistent/clear message, it is much more effective
> to have a single unified (official) voice to the outside world. If that
> requires the decision-making process to be closed, so be it. In the case
> of the icon contest, the people will still have a chance to influence
> the outcome of the contest by voting, so although the decision process
> may not be open, the contest itself is.

Koki, what is your problem? :-) Why do you want "us" to close up? You are on
this list, so *you* are part of Haiku. What is "Haiku" as an origanization
from your perspective? In my understanding, we as a community are! We ain't
Be nor yellowTAB. What sense is there in purposefully shutting ourselfs up
from valuable input on this list (or somewhere else)? The people having
contributed the most to Haiku (the project) do have more weight and get to
make "final decisions". Whoever is actually doing it... Like we could discuss
or vote or rate all we want, the person(s) creating the rest of the icons
will have the final word. As I have written in one of my very first emails,
if you don't like how this "contest" proceeds, you are free to make your own
"contest". I know this would be silly, but it makes it clear that I'm just a
guy wanting to move forward with one particular piece of the Haiku project.
Nothing more, nothing less. I think you ought to take this stuff less
seriously. :-) We're just a bunch of people doing this in our spare time. I
agree, the news item should have been worded more clearly, so what - what is
the big deal? We can put out another news item, what is the problem? The "we
should have" stuff is nice, but I like it more if we just move forward and
learn from our mistakes.

Best regards,
-Stephan