[openbeos] Re: Icon Design Contest submission

  • From: "Joseph Prostko" <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:32:27 -0400

But seriously, a contest is a contest.  Competitor against competitor(s).
Yes, I think a hybrid icon set would work best, personally, but that doesn't
take away from the fact that this was declared as a "contest."

Who is making this final decision anyways, the devs or the entire community?

I really think the devs should have more say since they laid the groundwork,
but something like icons is something we can all decide upon.

Succinctly state the objectives and goals of this "icon contest" is all I
ask.

- joe

On 8/14/06, Mathew Schofield <mr.skoe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just to add my 2 cents:

A Contest now would surface many different ideas, designs and
perspectives. This would allow everyone to see whats available, and
for the community to decide on an overall icon design later on --
which could well be a mixture of icon sets which would be presented in
this contest.

I think a discussion is required AFTER the contest. Because, of
course, we all want to see Haiku's icon set achieve it's goals!

On 8/14/06, Joseph Prostko <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
is
> > still unclear to me how Haiku plans to come out with a new icon set.
> > Statements such as "we will discuss" and the like are good
generalities,
> > but do not clearly define how you will come up with the icon set that
> > Haiku needs, given that no single icon set is chosen from the contest.
> >
> > So, artists will submit their work, people will vote (or rate) the
icon
> > sets, and then what? Will you mix and match the best rated (don't know
> > if that is viable)? Will someone (from Haiku?) create an icon set
based
> > based on the submissions and the feedback from the community? What am
> > missing?
> >
> > Expecting people to follow/read all the posts on mailings lists and
> > forums is not realistic. Which is why, if you think in terms of both
> > building/growing the community as well as that of presenting the
project
> > to the world with a consistent/clear message, it is much more
effective
> > to have a single unified (official) voice to the outside world. If
that
> > requires the decision-making process to be closed, so be it. In the
case
> > of the icon contest, the people will still have a chance to influence
> > the outcome of the contest by voting, so although the decision process
> > may not be open, the contest itself is.
> >
> > Koki
> >
> > Curtis Wanner wrote:

> same
> > >>
> > > thing. Haiku announced a contest (headline >quoted from haiku-

> be.
> > >>
> > > And contests have clear winners; that is the >nature of any contest.
> > >
> > > It is a contest in that we are trying to choose the best design
ideas.
> You
> > > have to remember this is an open source project and as such input is
> > > expected from the community.   This is the main reason for the
contest,
> > > allow the public to provide input on the final design.  So
discussion is
> > > going to be a natural part of the process.

> which is
> > >>
> > > what people will go by with.
> > >
> > > It is stated :
> > > "To cut a long story short, we want to have shiny new vector icons
and
> since
> > > Haiku is an open project, we're going to vote on the new design."
> > >
> > > It does NOT state "we're going to vote on the new icon
set".  Although,
> I do
> > > agree it could have perhaps been worded a bit differently.  Some of
the
> > > confusion is the result of the international scope of the project.

> better
> > >>
> > > articulated by announcing a "Haiku Icon >Debate", "Haiku Icon
Counsel"

-- Thank You Mathew Schofield mr.skoe@xxxxxxxxx