[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 11:17:08 -0400

On 8/5/07, Andrew McCall <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think the questions that that needs asking RIGHT NOW isn't if things
> like this should be allowed or not allowed.  It should be why is the
> community so polarized on their opinions.  Get that sorted and you
> won't need an admin team.

The community is so polarized on this issue for one basic reason:
developers don't want their partially-finished work shown to the
public, whereas non-developers don't have this concern. For what it is
worth, I totally understand the view of the developers (I am one after
all, but my "sphere of influence" in Haiku isn't quite as big as Axel,
Ingo, Stephan, etc.)

For example, I still haven't added my screen saver "Message" to the
image, because for some reason it doesn't work in Haiku (and seems to
crash the app_server.) It works fine in BeOS, but nonetheless I don't
want it in the image because if someone tries to use it and it doesn't
work, I'll look like I produced lousy work. And this is just a screen
saver. So I certainly understand the position of the admins who
opposed the FalterCon CD who have concerns over something a bit bigger
than a screen saver, like the kernel or the app_server. For Michael
Phipps all of Haiku is his concern and he too does not want to release
something lousy.

In fact I would join them in opposing any wide release of a
promotional CD or VMWare image. But in the limited case of FalterCon,
distributed by people who care about Haiku, I don't see a big risk. In
fact I see an opportunity to test the waters and truly see if our
fears are founded.

I just wanted to clarify my position and show I understand the
concerns of the admins. Not everything is black or white.

Ryan