[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 23:13:20 -0400

On 8/4/07, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> You can still hand out CDs, just not with the Haiku trademarks.

And this is where all this becomes quite silly and rather moot, in my opinion.

So people get CDs that say "FalterCon Demo" or whatever. When people
ask "what exactly is FalterCon Demo", Urias et al will say "well it is
just Haiku, but we had to take out the name and logo because it is
pre-alpha." No NDAs were signed here, so they are free to speak about
it. So the people getting it will still know it is Haiku. In addition
I imagine the desktop will have a link to haiku-os.org or that URL
will be printed on the CD, so even if the people don't ask, they will
eventually figure out that "WalterCon demo" is really just Haiku.

Then if they run it and it crashes and they get annoyed, they will
still blame Haiku. So all this discussion and admin voting is really
just pointless. Hiding the trademarks does no good.

At the end of the day, Haiku is MIT licensed and frankly, people can
do whatever the hell they want with it. So I think these efforts to
"hide" Haiku are kind of dumb. Especially when these efforts result in
frustrating and slowing down people are who trying to evangelize and
help the project. I would like to commend Urias and Jorge for being so
polite and reasoned about the whole thing, as I could see quite easily
how they could get peeved by it.

Now it is still up to them whether they make these CDs or not. As I
said in another email, I don't think the CDs could be quite as
damaging as a lot of other people think. But if the admin team really
doesn't want these CDs handed out, they better ask politely as the
"you can't use our trademarks" thing has no teeth, as I hope I've
expressed.

Regards,
Ryan