[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 15:00:55 -0700

Michael Lotz wrote:
Hi FalterCon Organizers

We have received your request for permissions and held a vote with the following conclusion:

1. Using the Haiku logo on promotional material

We see no problem in using the official Haiku name and logo on promotional material. But we request that you hand in a copy (document, photo, screenshot, ...) of the material so that we can review the exact usage. We bind ourselfs to review the material in a time frame of no longer than 8 hours to not hinder your effort too much.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Due to time constraints, we may not able to do what we had in mind.

But if we do use any of the Haiku artwork, we will then provide a screenshot for review.

Who should we (specifically) address the request for review to? Please advise.

2. Making a CD that contains a Haiku VMWare image

Several concerns were stated with regards to handing out CDs publically. Our stance is that Haiku is not yet ready for public consumption and should not proactivly be distributed. This is reflected by the pre-alpha state of the project and should generally be respected. Therefore we'd like to request that you do not create such a media and refrain from distributing CDs. Note that we cannot forbid the creation of such an image due to our license. But you would have to follow the distro guidelines accordingly and remove all trademarked names and logos. As an alternative you could point people to the official Haiku website so they can inform themselves and may download an image there.

This contradicts your published guidelines which, by the way, we tried to follow to the letter. Check it out for yourself:

http://haiku-os.org/community/guidelines_for_creating_a_haiku_distribution

<quote>
Promotional Demos

If you want to help spread the word by creating a promotional demo CD or VM image you may ask us on the Haiku mailing list for explicit permission to use our trademarks and logos with your modified Haiku version. Please provide a complete list of modifications.

Promotional releases must be compiled with GCC 2.95.3, they must show the following disclaimer in read-only form after every boot-up, and CDs must additionally be labeled with that disclaimer: "This promotional demo is based on unstable pre-release Haiku code, and is intended for developers as a technology preview. This is not the official Haiku distribution (to be released at http://haiku-os.org)."
</quote>

Cheers,

Koki