[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response

  • From: "Andrew McCall" <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 13:19:28 +0100

On 05/08/07, Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Everyone
>
> I just have a problem with the attitude here. We made a decision and
> this should be accepted. Of course it may seem unpleasant for some and
> cause frustration to others, but if the decision is simply undermined
> by the community this causes frustration on both sides. And quite

Here lies the problem with Open Source projects.

Who's to say it should be accepted? Where do you draw the line between
the community and the project admins, or even the people who
participate on email lists giving feedback and opinions, or the people
who organize conferences or provide artwork?

Is their input worth any less than code put forth by Axel, yourself etc. ?

Any vote by the admin team is supposed to reflect what the community
want.  Koki, Bryan V Mike Sum et. al ARE the community - did you count
their votes?

Would you prefer it if the code was forked?

My _personal_ opinion is exactly the opposite of yours.  I think there
should be a Haiku developer VMware image, I would like to use it
myself at work and think it would be a great way of keeping up with
the current build rather than building the whole OS.  The stability of
the very early Develop Releases of BeOS was sometimes worse than
Haiku, yet Be, Inc. still got their OS out.  Ship-early-ship often.
At a Linux conference, it can only help.

I do see the value of protecting the Haiku "image" though, but I feel
its being miss-used.  I think people, including the project admins are
under the impression that when Haiku is released its going to be like
a major FireFox release, or like a OpenOffice.org release.  Its not.
Most people don't care about Haiku.  Its going to take YEARS to get to
the stage where you can talk to your average techie and mention Haiku
before he knows what it is.  In the meantime, we need all the
developers, artists, and geek-users who don't mind a crash we can get.

I think the questions that that needs asking RIGHT NOW isn't if things
like this should be allowed or not allowed.  It should be why is the
community so polarized on their opinions.  Get that sorted and you
won't need an admin team.

--
Thanks,

Andrew McCall