[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 15:41:56 -0700

On 8/4/07, Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This contradicts your published guidelines which, by the way, we tried
> > to follow to the letter. Check it out for yourself:
> [...]
>
> Not sure where you see a contradiction. The text says you have to ask for
> permission for using Haiku trademarks, which you did, and we denied it for
> stated reasons.

I think what Jorge's getting at here is that it seems there is no real
compromise at this point - the guidelines were seemingly put there to
satisfy the community and/or Haiku admin team at the time, but were
apparently not meant to be acted upon. My feeling is that they
essentially represent a roadblock - and the likelihood that anyone
would be allowed to pass appears to be low. I would nearly suggest the
entire "promotional cd" guidelines should be simply removed if you
would like to avoid the same confusion and distress in the future.

Maybe at a later time when I have the time and energy, I will dig up
some of the older thread content regarding this topic and we can
re-hash it here on the list again. Almost this exact scenario was
raised, and I can now see that the answer at that time was obviously
not decided upon as I had thought. It certainly interests me as I
currently promote Haiku through various methods, and plan to continue
to promote Haiku more-so in the future.

- Urias