[haiku-development] Re: alpha release window ?

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:35:40 +0200

> Then the library is broken and should be removed from any common area.
>  Reporting it as a bug would be good too.
>
> Really, it is simple enough, the point of a library is to offer an API
> that does not change.

This is, unfortunately, not the way library makers in the linux world
are seeing it.
Usually, they keep source-level compatibility, but not binary level
one. You may think its bad (and I agree), but the point of handling
dependancies in a package manager is exactly to handle that. If this
problem did not exist, the whole package manager thing would be
reduced to :
-Download LibPak
-Install any software you want
And, as a bonus, clean uninstall and automatic software updates.

We can't enforce library devs to do things like we want, yet. Maybe
when R1 is out :>

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
Elève ingénieur ENSSAT EII1- www.enssat.fr