[haiku-development] Re: alpha release window ?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 15:46:28 +0200

On 2009-08-07 at 15:22:34 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Since Philippe seems to be MIA, and we should go forward with this at
> least with some pace, I would volunteer to take over this job, although I
> will probably be short on time over the next few weeks.

Thanks for stepping up, Axel!

> Beyond ATA vs. IDE, there is not much I would think should hold up the
> alpha (can anyone reproduce #4188 besides stippi?).

I cannot reproduce it myself with tracing turned off... will try later with
the exact same tracing options I had on then...

As for ATA versus IDE, so far ATA has had a chance only as suggestion to
anyone who had a problem with IDE, but not as being used by default. So to
fix this, we should really enable ATA by default, and see how that goes. We
cannot expect everyone to follow this list or build their own images. But
if the Haiku images have ATA on by default, we may just get some feedback
via Trac. August 15 may be a bit short to get enough feedback. Some people
update their Haiku install very infrequently, it seems.

> So, without further ado, I would propose August 15 as code freeze (no
> changes are made other than bug fixes, testing is intensified), and
> September 1st as the actual release date. I would also propose to branch
> the release only after the actual release, since I guess everyone should
> be able to work on this, and only on this for two weeks straight.

I won't be able to work on Haiku until August 23. Most likely I won't even
have Internet access.

> For the release to work, we need to sort out download locations (BerliOS,
> SF, BitTorrent, haiku-files.org?), and bring the documentation on the
> website, and what goes on to the release in shape.

The only thing I can think of right now which would be cool to wait for is
Bryce's work on the partitioning. He should have commit access now, but not
everything from his latest work, that I know of, is already in the tree.

Ingo always spoke about updating all the optional packages once again, but
I don't know what the reasoning was for that.

> We also need to remove any packages that are problematic patent/license
> wise (as ffmpeg encoding), and make packages available for those who may
> download them.

I can quickly disable AC-3 encoding, but most likely, the MPEG4 encoding is
ok to leave on? Can someone comment on that? To disable codecs, just
comment them out in the respective
src/add-ons/media/plugins/ffmpeg/*Table.cpp file(s).

> We need to review if anything is missing from the image that should be on
> it, and anything that is on it, but shouldn't be.

Maybe make a decision with regards to Clockwerk. It's only 2 Megs
uncompressed, I think it would be cool to put on the alpha. zuMi, can you
make a nice icon? I was thinking of a clock face with media symbols at
12/3/6/9... but somehow I don't find the time.

Best regards,
-Stephan