[haiku-development] Re: alpha release window ?

  • From: Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:41:08 +0200

Oliver Tappe wrote:
Hi Brecht,

On 2009-08-11 at 09:40:10 [+0200], Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On a related note. How do you see Haiku handling multiple versions of a
library? If all bundles are mounted under /boot/common, they would need
to have a unique namme (libfoo-1.2.3.so). For an application to use a
particular version, we would need to virtually link a library into the
app's lib search path, as libfoo.so. I hope you agree we don't want to
have apps looking for a specific version of a library (libfoo-1.2.3.so)?

Hm, but if apps aren't looking for specific versions of a lib, how would there ever be the need to install multiple versions of a library? If all apps are just requiring libfoo.so then the version shouldn't matter, right?

Due to libs breaking compatibility even across minor versions, it is impossible to predict which versions of a library will an app work with. Therefor, it is necessary to have a of database storing which apps work with which versions of a library, dynamically maintained by the users. This is described on the wiki page.

You *could* tie an application to one particular version of a lib, but then you could have for example libfoo-1.2.3 and libfoo-1.2.4 both installed, while it might not be necessary, when all installed apps are happy with either.

Regards,
Brecht