[haiku-development] Re: alpha release window ?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 16:08:51 +0200

On 2009-08-07 at 15:53:30 [+0200], Ithamar R. Adema
<ithamar.adema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Stephan Assmus wrote:
> > I can quickly disable AC-3 encoding, but most likely, the MPEG4
> > encoding is ok to leave on? Can someone comment on that? To disable
> > codecs, just comment them out in the respective
> > src/add-ons/media/plugins/ffmpeg/*Table.cpp file(s).
> >
> I guess fmmpeg itself might be a good source for this information, IIRC
> they even have a configure switch which disables the "cumbersome" ones in
> their implementation....
>
> (I'm afraid even MPEG4 has licensing/patent issues, but IANAL....)

Thanks for the pointers. FFmpeg configure indeed has this option:

  --enable-nonfree         allow use of nonfree code, the resulting libs
                           and binaries will be unredistributable [no]

This option has never been used by us, and I just generated a config.h
again to see what encoders/muxers would be enabled (since I've enabled some
manually). Both "mpeg4" and "ac3" are enabled, so I presume we are good to
redistribute the ffmpeg add-on as is?

The only other thing I am still concerned about is the GPL libswsscale,
which I am now using in the encoder. AFAIK, libswsscale has been converted
to LGPL in the FFmpeg trunk, so I could attempt to update our FFmpeg libs.
Other than that, our license is certainly compatible with GPL, and our
distribution should be complying just fine, AFAICS.

Best regards,
-Stephan