[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha decisions

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:13:54 -0400

Stephan Assmus wrote:
* What is the license of the makefile-engine? The file itself doesn't say. I also couldn't find a license information on the Be Developer Tools package which would suggest something for the included makefile-engine.

* Years back, Ingo made a small but substantial improvement to the engine with regards to object dependencies. It was pretty useless before when it didn't recompile objects when headers changed and such. Ingo used a tool "mkdepend" for that, but neither of us remembers where it came from or if Ingo even wrote it himself perhaps. Going to check...

I think that the makefile-engine that is part of Zeta is a much better makefile_engine than the BeOS makefile-engine. It always recompiles dependent objects when header files change, and also does some other things better. In fact, I use the Zeta makefile-engine for building the video drivers during development of them.

Best regards,
Gerald