[haiku-development] Haiku R1/alpha decisions

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku Development" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 18:07:24 +0200 CEST

Hi there,

since we're at least slowly approaching our desired goals for R1/alpha,
I just want to start the discussion on how our distribution should look
like, and what expectations the alpha version should fulfill.
Are there any features left one definitely wants to see in the alpha
release that are not yet tracked as part of http://dev.haiku-os.org/roadmap?

For the distribution (it's also an alpha with respect to that IMO), I
think we should have a fairly basic set of things we ship. Just enough
to fulfill the basic needs our target audience (mostly developers, I
guess) will have in common.
This probably includes most of the optional packages we have made
available so far, and might also include a few things not yet part of
those, too. In any case, don't forget that we'll need to maintain, and
get bug reports for software that are part of the distribution, too :-)
The aim of this thread should be to compile a complete list of things
we want to have in the first alpha release, be it feature or software.

Please try to be short and concise, as I guess some items could cause
some more discussions. If we encounter any harder decisions, we should
separate those in a separate thread.

Bye,
   Axel.