[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha decisions

  • From: richard jasmin <jasminr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 17:39:29 -0400

only issue with that is it doesnt boot.thus the need for grub loader.otherwise, i agree, even just this would be a significant boost to the dev team.like i said before, even on a 486 box some dude has lying in his basement, this would be an improvement over the emu version that is released.just pull shit from linux kernel if you need drivers, we know these work.its the proprietary[not so much now] integration into the os that makes this part difficult for Haiku devel.

linux may be bloated and monolithic, but it follows a standard to get going.even if that standard is from the 1980s or earlier.see, like mac os9, linux can always be expanded.there is no re-invention of the wheel. BEos re-invented the wheel.at least you dont have to re-code EVERYTHING, that would be a waste.

unfortunately, that is why even basic apps are missing from haiku.im not here to bash Haiku, but it would be nice to boot SOME-THING.

reason for the two traks is thus:
1st is boot loader that has to 'read' Haiku or BE OS fs and find the boot kernel.[IE: lilo/GRUB for linux....]
2nd track is the BeOS or Haiku track.
[or ext2/3 track for linux]
the hard drive BS performs a similar function, but as of late we have issues writing that correctly when not build from scratch.

dos boots a similar way.notice how you have to 'activate' the rest of the cd that you boot from with mscdex and some disc device driver, even though you booted from the CD?

the XP cd cheats and points directly to a file on the disc by means of no emulation mode.

anyone tried that lately?
------
Fredrik Modéen wrote:
Hi all

What bugs me more is on how we are going to provide the alpha? Are we
going
to force anyone to build it from source, are we providing an ISO or
Live CD?
I think building from source is obviously not an option and I guess
nobody really expected that. It wouldn't emobdy the goal of simplicity
Haiku has at all. IMO the two ways to provide a release are clear: a
live CD (preferrably one that can be burned without the need for two
tracks meaning an attribute overlay for the ISO fs or maybe putting a
BFS image inside the ISO track) and a disk image suitable for emulation
and building live USB sticks. Live USB sticks do not require anything
else than dd'ing the image directly to the USB media, and they are IMHO
the easiest way of testing/installing Haiku on current hardware (that
works today already BTW). For later releases we might want to setup a
shop providing pre-built USB sticks with Haiku installed, but that's
With the Haiku logo? I'll have two!! :)

probably a bit too much logistics for R1/alpha1.

From the software side of things, one thing of the top of my head would
be BePDF. How would you otherwise read that hardware spec you wanted to
write a driver for? That has actually what happened to me ;-)

Regards
Michael