[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha decisions

  • From: "Niels Reedijk" <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 20:50:36 +0200

Bruno,

2008/8/7 Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> julun wrote:
>
>> when it comes to software we are going to include, it would vote only for
>> the stuff we have in our repo + all packages required to checkout and build
>> Haiku on Haiku. Maybe a browser would be good as well. I don't worry about
>> an updater, package manager or anything else in an alpha.
>
> Sorry, but an updater is *ESSENTIAL*. Even if not fancy. By updater I mean a
> way for the user to easily check if there are fixes and to apply then
> without losing data or having to completely reinstall the system.

I agree with the assertion that someone should be able to
update/upgrade from alpha 1 to alpha 2. However, I think an updater,
as in a separate app that checks for updates online is completely
unnecessary. We should provide a way to update, perhaps even to custom
svn builds, but this needs not to be done by a separate app. The only
time we might think about an updater, is when we are near alpha 2.

So the question, in my opinion, really is: is it possible to update
haiku by replacing files?

Kind regards,

Niels