[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha decisions

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 22:25:57 +0200

On 2008-08-07 at 20:53:47 [+0200], Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > So the question, in my opinion, really is: is it possible to update
> > haiku by replacing files?
>
> In theory it should be, in practice I have yet to see for instance the
> build system's install-haiku target complete successfully. In some
> circumstances I see it freeze, in others it finishes but upon reboot
> fails to successfully load the app_server.

ATM it is not advisable to replace files in a running Haiku. Due to the way
we map executables and libraries into memory. Changes to the file will be
visible immediately to running apps, which will most likely cause them to
misbehave. Theoretically removing (or renaming) an executable/library and
creating a new one should work, although I recall Stippi mentioning that he
had problems with that method as well.

We certainly should change how files are mapped, but this isn't totally
trivial either.

CU, Ingo