[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:51:11 -0500

On 1/21/13, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Am 21/01/2013 21:41, schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
>> It used to do that in Tracker, although I'm not sure if it's Ctrl-LMB, or
>> Option-LMB. It's hard coded in there, though, not consistently used this
>> way
>> throughout the system.
>> Would be nice to change this.
>
> If I had to venture a guess I'd say that Ctrl was used. This comes
> from Mac OS where Ctrl+click is used to emulate a right click (since
> you are assumed to have one mouse button). If we copied this making
> ctrl+LMB act as RMB that might neatly solve some of the issues I have
> with RMB drags since it would provide a nice alternative using the LMB
> anywhere a RMB is used now.

In Tracker, it indeed is CTRL + LMB  = RMB  (at least on the Desktop.
I didn't check elsewhere).

I still don't understand what your (John's) issue with LMB vs RMB is.

Currently it is very consistent (the only inconsistency with regards
to moving and resizing windows is the Title bar and the resize corner.
Though, I imagine that is mostly due to ensuring that users with only
a single mouse button can access both functionalities.)

I've another suggestion to improve CTRL+ALT, but need to work on the
wording a bit more before sending it.

--mmadia