[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 08:37:34 +0100

On 2011-01-09 at 23:46:12 [+0100], John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
Other than that, I would agree that the highlight is more confusing
than helping due to the right mouse button resizing.

I agree that the highlighting is a bit confusing at first, but it's also
something one gets used to quickly. At least I'm not particularly
confused
anymore. :-)

It is confusing, you are just used to it.

Yes, that's repeating what he just said. The point is something else: Whether most people who care to use this feature would quickly get used to it and whether the initial confusion is acceptable as a tradeoff for some advantages.

Keeping it just the way it works could be the best thing to do. Here are some reasons:

1) Haiku differentiates the mouse button when clicking the window decor and assignes it some crucial functions. In Windows, right-clicking the window decor brings up a context menu. Personally, I find that menu completely useless, since it offers nothing that I cannot do much more quickly with the left mouse button. Pretty much the only advantage is that I can access the functions anywhere on the window decor. I never use the right-click on window decors in Windows. In Haiku however, I find the right-click to send a window to the back extremely useful and use it all the time. The feature is "hidden", but once you know its there, it is pretty convenient. In Windows, the context menu is the expected thing to happen, thus it is not a hidden feature, however it is not useful (at least to me).

2) In Haiku, we have tried to use only a single shortcut combination to manage windows. The same shortcut is also used to access the spatial workspace switching, and at first it only allowed to move windows by clicking anywhere in their contents. Keep in mind that the whole shortcut feature itself is well hidden, you probably have to find it somewhere in the documentation, or expect it to be there and try a few key combos until you find it.

3) Resizing windows anywhere was a logical extension from 1) and 2). The user still only needs to memorize a single shortcut for extra window management features, and he should already be used to associating the right mouse button some non-standard but convenient once used to feature. Since the whole window shortcut feature is probably explored in the documentation, it is OK (IMHO) to explain there the non-standard assignment of buttons and expect the user to overcome the confusion and get used to the feature.

My conclusion is the benefits outweight the costs.

[...]

Best regards,
-Stephan