[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:43:57 +0100

On 2011-01-10 at 10:12:13 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I think nobody questions the feature itself, it's just that the current
> behavior can be improved.
> What should be improved IMO is the highlighting, and when it appears. I
> think tangobravo's comment on the orignally mentioned bug is quite fitting:
> if the highlighting is subtle, nobody would care. Problem is, it's not
> subtle at the moment.
> I would change it like this:
> * Instead of changing the color, I would just change the contrast,
> brightness, or saturation or something like that.
> * when pressing ctrl+alt, the highlighting could be faded in, for the whole
> border (to show that this is the windows key combo for those who don't
> know).

"Fade in" as in animation? Why? Why not show it immediately? After all after
pressing the window modifiers any window action can be triggered immediately.

> * once you move the mouse, a specific border could be highlighted as it is
> now

One would probably have to test how that feels. I see two possible, undesired
effects: (1) When intending to move a window one probably already moves the
mouse while pressing the modifiers, particularly when it's not the window
currently under the mouse one wants to move. This results in just the same
"incorrect" highlighting that happens now. (2) Having to move the mouse first
before seeing the resizing highlight might be annoying or slow down the
operation.

> (but possibly also more subtle.

I experimented with subtle when implementing the feature and found that it
certainly looks better, but also makes the feature less convenient to use.
Unless one has a huge window to resize, the resizing sectors aren't that big,
and moving the mouse blindly while looking at the borders doesn't work that
well. When looking at the mouse cursor, a subtle border highlight is too hard
to discern (unless the window is tiny and one sees both mouse cursor and
borders clearly at the same time anyway) and the eyes have to flick back and
forth between cursor and borders. A crass highlight helps a lot, since it's
easily perceptible even when looking at the mouse cursor. Something like
bright red would probably be best. The current highlight is already a
compromise between more convenient to use and less aesthetically shocking.

> * optionally repurpose shift+left click to resize as well

I find the combo too complicated to press to make that worth adding, but
maybe the poor users of one-button mice disagree.

CU, Ingo