[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:12:13 +0100 (MET)

Stephan Aßmus<superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Keeping it just the way it works could be the best thing to do. Here are
> some reasons:
>
> 1) Haiku differentiates the mouse button when clicking the window decor
[...]

This may be counted as an argument for keeping the current right mouse button
behavior. I think it's actually an argument for making ctrl+alt+right click
send a window to back (knowing Ingo, it probably already does, though, when you
just click).

[...]
> there, it is pretty convenient. In Windows, the context menu is the
> expected thing to happen, thus it is not a hidden feature, however it is
> not useful (at least to me).

You are definitely not alone. And I have never seen this being used by anybody.

> 2) In Haiku, we have tried to use only a single shortcut combination to
> manage windows.
[...]

I would not see this as a problem to add the shift key to the mix. As Ingo
said, pressing them all together is rather inconvenient, so it's probably not
needed to really have it move the window to another workspace, so it could
maybe be repurposed for resizing windows with the left mouse button -- and why
not in addition to the right click?

> My conclusion is the benefits outweight the costs.

I think nobody questions the feature itself, it's just that the current
behavior can be improved.
What should be improved IMO is the highlighting, and when it appears. I think
tangobravo's comment on the orignally mentioned bug is quite fitting: if the
highlighting is subtle, nobody would care. Problem is, it's not subtle at the
moment.
I would change it like this:
* Instead of changing the color, I would just change the contrast, brightness,
or saturation or something like that.
* when pressing ctrl+alt, the highlighting could be faded in, for the whole
border (to show that this is the windows key combo for those who don't know).
* once you move the mouse, a specific border could be highlighted as it is now
(but possibly also more subtle.
* optionally repurpose shift+left click to resize as well

Any comments on that?

Bye,
   Axel.