[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 23:33:21 +0100

> How is that a fair compromise?, It addressed neither of my concerns,
> ergonomics and discoverability. With the option key I have the chance
> to update the mouse cursor aiding discoverability, it is also easier
> to perform a LMB drag while holding a keyboard key than it is to
> perform a RMB drag aiding ergonomics. Not having to push the option
> key would have even better discoverability and ergonomics but was
> rejected, thus the proposed compromise.

RMB vs modifier + LMB is your personal preference. I find RMB much easier to
use.

As for updating the cursor, I think this adds more distraction than needed.
You would have to hover a border while holding the modifier to see the
changed cursor, so it doesn't really help with discoverability because the
border is small. Right clicking is also much more intuitive than hovering +
pressing a modifier, making the current solution easier to discover (as the
cursor changes in that case). RMB is also more logical to use for a drag,
because it is located on the mouse. Using a keyboard modifier for mouse input
is a bad thing, it mixes two unrelated input peripherals.

The resize knob is still the best solution for resizing a window, and the RMB
drag on borders works fine when you want to resize something else than the
bottom/left corner.

--
Adrien.