[haiku-development] Re: Ctrl+Alt window management functionality

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:41:37 +1300

John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Does changing the functionality from RMB to option+LMB make a
>difference? Yes! IMHO there is a big difference in terms of
>discoverability and ergonomics! If you can't see that I am wasting my
>time here.

Regarding ergonomics: I simply don't get it. Why is using the right button any
more ergonomic than using the left?

Regarding discoverability: You are certainly right, RMB actions (including
context menus BTW) are hidden functionality.  For the window borders I would
suggest a mouse pointer that indicates both LMB move and RMB resize. Given the
limited expressive power of the mouse pointer graphics that might not help that
much, though. For the CTRL-ALT actions a solution has already been proposed:
you have the whole window area for drawing guidance info for the user. It
shouldn't be too hard to convey that the left button moves while the right
button resizes.

That being said, I don't mind having OPT-LMB act as a general RMB alternative.
IIRC it already works like that for context menus. This may or may not clash
with SaT which uses OPT as well, if I'm not mistaken.

CU, Ingo