[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:46:51 -0400

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And notice no AltGr key either, because this is a US keyboard. But, hey, you
> got left option at least :)

I did not read the very large other thread about this topic, but I
wanted to give my option nonetheless. I have an Acer Timeline laptop
that I use for work (with Linux) and it has an AltGr key. I'm American
and I bought this from an American company. So it is not unheard of
for US keyboards to have AltGr.

In Linux it is treated as an Alt key, but I'm sure I could set it up
as AltGr if I want. For Haiku I don't see why it is such a big deal to
make AltGr a real (and separate) modifier key. I don't understand why
you are so against that idea John. It seems the most elegant approach
to me. We can add that modifier constant, and for international
keyboard layouts the key which is normally AltGr can be AltGr and work
how it works on other systems. For the US keyboard layout it can be an
Alt. Adding the modifier constant for AltGr doesn't have any downside
that I can see.

--
Regards,
Ryan