[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 14:31:26 +0200

On 2012-04-06 at 09:28:46 [+0200], John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> There is a long and important history behind the Haiku modifier keys
> that I am not going to get into right now. But they are a perfectly
> valid choice and have much more to do with simply using control in
> terminal. We do not and should not blindly copy Windows or Linux.
>
> Perhaps I am arrogant but I expect people from other OS's to either
> adapt to the Haiku way or switch switch them in Keymap to how they
> want them. But the defaults are what they are for a reason, a good
> one.

It is one thing to one-time relearn something, it is another thing to
constantly have to switch between two different muscle memory modes when
switching between Haiku and Linux/Windows. I think we should appreciate the
fact that most Haiku users don't use Haiku exclusively and avoid making
their life harder. I'm not saying that a Linux/Windows compatible mode
should be the default (though one could argue that if the majority prefers
a certain setting, it should be the default), but there should at least be
a very simple (not just possible) way to switch to a Windows/Linux
compatible mode.

For the same reason I'd suggest an optional Linux compatible mode in
Terminal.

CU, Ingo