[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:33:52 +0200

Le Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:30:42 +0200, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

For now, yes, I have taken a step back and made some fixes to the
keymap command line app as well as the much maligned Modifier keys
window in Keymap to make it work better without taking AltGr into
account yet. My current thoughts are that adding an entire new set of
tables to each keymap for AltGr is a bad idea. It seems to me that
AltGr is merely an issue of muscle memory. And don't get me wrong,
muscle memory is important and I understand that. But at the same time
I would like the keymaps to be symmetric across control, option,
command and AltGr seems determined not to fit into that model. So I am
perplexed as to how to accomplish all this currently.

Yes, we all know it's a bad thing and it shouldn't exist, but our French, Spanish, Lithuanian and German keyboard are so made. People not happy with that just go for a different layout like US-International.
I don't think Haiku is there to change how this works :)

--
Adrien.