[haiku-development] Re: About $application

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 20:51:01 -0700

On 6/8/07, Curtis Wanner <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
>It sounds like a common Haiku AboutWindow class would be useful. It
>could simply take the application title, Haiku copyright years, a list
>of authors, and maybe "original copyright/written by/etc." freeform
>text. Given that information it could format it nicely and
>consistently across applications and provide the extra features Jonas
>mentioned.

First Issue - I suspect a lot of application developers probably wouldn't
conform to this consistent idea.  Although it might be a good idea to be
consistent for applications that are being included with the base
distribution.

Reading between the lines, I thought that what Ryan meant was to
commit a "shared" AboutWindow class into the Haiku tree somewhere that
all Haiku pre-loaded apps could use. Just a way to encourage
conformity in all Haiku included apps.

Extending the BeAPI to include an AboutWindow class probably wasn't
what he meant, and therefore I don't think any 3rd party developers
are going to be forced to use it.

- Urias