[haiku-development] Re: About $application

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:16:37 +0200 CEST

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> - Is the mention of copyright truly necessary? (It has a negative
> feel.) Doesn't copyright apply regardless if mentioned?

Why would it have a negative feel?
But since it's all part of the same system, I wouldn't mind removing
it, at least - AboutSystem already tells you everything you want to
know in this regard.

> - "Compiled on ... ", "Build", "Version", "Recompiled for Haiku"
> Does this interest our target group?

It doesn't interest me, at least. Since the system is delivered as a
whole, having this kind of information there is completely useless IMO
(same thing with versions).

> Suggestion:
> - The application name in bold.
> - No mention of version.
> - The list of people who have contributed to an applications will
> grow,
> possibly by lots. Trying to state the nature of a person's
> contribution
> in words (by, written, enhanced, updated, revised, thanks to) does
> not
> scale well. I suggest a simple "Contributed to by $original-
> author(s),
> $haiku-authors (in chronological order)."

Having them in chronological order should usually be sufficient,
indeed.

> - No help/mini documentation in the About window

+1

> - Haiku could be mentioned like this: "Part of Haiku Release 1."
> (What
> about distros?) Possibly followed by "Copyright © 2007, Haiku, Inc."
> on
> the next line ?

I think a "copyright" line alone is enough for this.
Also, since at least apps like DeskCalc have a copyright from another
party in it, maybe we should indeed keep ours in as well.

> - "Close" -button.  (less fun, I know, but consistent and correct)

Why would that be?

> - Escape key closes window

+1

Bye,