[haiku-development] Re: About $application

  • From: "Hugo Santos" <hugosantos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 02:38:41 +0100

Hey Curtis,

On 6/10/07, Curtis Wanner <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To Hugo:
While the copyright discussion was perhaps too long, I don't think some
process discussions are out of place because it gives me insight on how some
of the developers think and might be useful for any of my own efforts.  I
don't buy into the code first, ask questions later bit.  It certainly
doesn't work when it comes to usability.  But maybe my opinion is not worth
much considering I have yet to submit any useful code to the project.

 Everyone's opinion is valuable. I didn't state otherwise. I'm just
trying for people to keep focused in solving priority issues.
Usability is certainly important, and i believe there is a team and
mailing list to discuss usability issues.

 One thing people usually don't consider is that open source
development is an iterative task. You code it once, and keep tuning it
until it is good enough. There is no structure for people to discuss
something and then someone implements whatever was discussed. Either
whoever implements it takes into account the discussion's input, or
not. Either way, it's usually better to contribute with code, as your
contribution ends up having an higher chance of being accepted.
Everyone has an opinion, unfortunately opinions need to be
implemented. :-)

 In a nutshell, the contents of the about window, as well as other
issues that have been discussed are, in my opinion of course, a bit
irrelevant in the current development context. It is important to
focus efforts in fixing blocking issues. And there are still plenty.

 Anyway, have fun :-)
   Hugo