[openbeos-cdt] Re: Names

  • From: Nathan Callender <nathan_callender@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 06:19:13 -0800 (PST)

 Jace ...
I like your idea about finding a less common name ... one that hasn't been used
by the computing world.  ... but I don't think we should just invent one.  We
should find a choice word that has a meaning that describes ourselves.
Frankly, I like Enclave, what it means, and how it sounds.
NateC (saffertan)
  Jace <jace@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>OK. On the subject of names. I came up with a couple of half-baked
>ideas while in the shower... hey inspiration strikes where it may, but I
>appologize for this horrible image. I propose that we look to history
>and/or mythology for our inspiration. Specifically, I would suggest
>Arthurian mythology.

None of those names work for me :) They're a bit overused in science fiction,
fantasy and many other genres. I've seen lots of computer projects and software
use these names, too. We need to find an underused word. When I started a
computer company some time back (though it never really got going) we were
going to call ourselves "Enclave Computer Group." Enclave is a small group
within a larger dominant group. We thought it was appropriate since we planned
on shipping computers with BeOS and Linux (the enclaves within the monstrous
computer industry). My point is that we should pick a word that is easy to say,
less common, or even invent one.

Cheers,

-Jace

This message was sent with the demo version of Postmaster, a BeOS mail client.
For more information, please visit http://kennyc.com/postmaster