[openbeos-cdt] Names

  • From: "Dale A. Raby" <publisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:15:15 +0000

OK.  On the subject of names.  I came up with a couple of half-baked
ideas while in the shower... hey inspiration strikes where it may, but I
appologize for this horrible image.  I propose that we look to history
and/or mythology for our inspiration.  Specifically, I would suggest
Arthurian mythology.

On that note, a few specifics:

Excalibur...

The sword given to Arthur by a hand reaching out of the surface of a
lake.  With it he was to unite (read conquer) England.  The scabbard,
according to Merlin was the most valuable part of the package as one
holding it would lose no blood in battle.  So it was a warrior's tool
that rendered one invulnerable.  Kind of like the mythical crash-proof
OS  This one would lend itself well to the artists among us.  It is also
old beyond belief and cannot be copyrighted.  Le Morte d' Arthur was
originally published in the 1400's.

Merlin...

Also can't be copyrighted.  Would lend itself to wide interpretation
graphically.  Merlin was supposedly a powerful wizard, but actually did
little other than to disguise people and create other illusions.  The
paralels to our modern cyberworld are obvious.

Lancelot...

This knight of Arthur is mostly known for stealing Arthur's queen
Guinever... for us, the world desktop market from Microsoft.  This would
also lend itself well to graphics.

Any of these would be instantly recognizable to most any educated person
in the world, and even some six hundred years after the legends were
gathered and published in book form by Sir Thomas Malory, himself almost
lost in legend, they still conjure images that appeal to many.

Comments?

This message was sent with the demo version of Postmaster, a BeOS mail client.
For more information, please visit http://kennyc.com/postmaster