[openbeos-cdt] Re: Names

  • From: Kristof Polleunis aka BeAdingo <kristof_polleunis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:10:36 -0800 (PST)

For the naming issue, I believe we should think of the
message we want to communicate first and choose a name
according to it and not the other way around.  What do
we want the people to tell about this new operating
sytem, how do we want to market it?  This is more a
question of marketing and not only design.  Once we've
got this the rest will follow as it has to be
consistent with the message, that will be the
restrictive factor throughout everything.

Example: Suppose we want send out the message of a
friendly, people-orientated, easy to use OS.  Well
this will restrict the choices for names. You won't be
able to use names like war-os or killer-os, you won't
be able to use  mascots like sharks, killerwhales or
wasps. And aggresive colors are also out of the
question in this example.

Ofcourse we can go for meaningless names like Linux
based on someone's name and another OS but is that
what we are looking for?

Kristof aka beAdingo
--- Eckard Riedenklau <eckard.riedenklau@xxxxxxxxx>
> Some comments: