[openbeos-cdt] Re: Names

  • From: Kristof Polleunis aka BeAdingo <kristof_polleunis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:35:38 -0800 (PST)

I still think we should look at what the system should be and find a name that
goes with it and brings across the message.So I got thinking here.  What's
BeOS, it's an OS that incoporates ideas from different Operating Systems.
Mac-a-like look and feel, single window browsing + show navigator option in the
new tracker inspired by windows, a terminal like in Linux or Unix ...etc
Nevertheless it's a whole new and advanced system.Well actually it's a bit like
a Platypus, that strange Australian animal which is a mammal but lays eggs,
with a body of a beaver and a nose of a duck ;-)  And it still looks cute.The
Platypus is one of the world's three extant egg-laying mammals (Equipped with
webbed feet, both fore and aft, as well as a horizontally flattened tail,
similar to those displayed by the placental beavers (Castor). Overall it is far
from being primitive, is said to be highly evolved and sophisticated.
Considering its unique form and behaviour, the platypus is quite a fantastic
mammal and certainly one of Australia's greatest natural treasures.I know the
name is possibly being overused  but it's more of a metaphore.  I think that's
the direction we should follow.   A name that's not just a name but also
describes what it is.BTW:  The Australian wildlife has really funny names to
offer:Possum, wombat, numbat, quokka, quoll, yabby, kowari...etc--- Stuart
McCoy  wrote:> > GREAT suggestion Jace, thanks.  Keep in mind people> that we
aren't going to> find the ONE word in this list necessarily.  Write> down a
list of words,> even if they are products that already exist.  For> instance,
Andrew and I> began naming product names we like and both of us> hit on Maya,
the 3D app> from A|W.  It had a nice ring to it and might be a> direction we
could begin> going in.> > Speaking of names, I would like to suggest we meet>
on IRC> (irc.openprojects.net, #obos-cdt) Thursday evening> around 8pm EST and
Monday> around 2pm EST for those not in the US.  I'm no time> zone whiz so
you'll> have to figure out the time in your area.  I'm in> Boston, the Eastern
Time> Zone in the US if that helps any.  If any of you> want to chat amongst>
yourselves at other times, by all means do so but> this could bring the group>
together to discuss the names they have to date.> > Jace, I know you don't like
the IRC clients on BeOS> but the reason for> suggesting IRC is because EVERYONE
can get an IRC> client and NO ONE needs to> have an account with multiple IM
clients.  I only> use Windows Messenger and> I know they don't make a BeOS
client and I don't> want to force people to> have to get a Hotmail account.
Likewise I don't> want to have to get an AIM> account if I can help it.  IRC
solves most of these> issues.  It's the> Switzerland of IM clients.> >
-----Original Message-----> From: openbeos-cdt-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[mailto:openbeos-cdt-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf> Of Jace> Sent: Wednesday,
April 03, 2002 1:53 AM> To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [openbeos-cdt]
Re: Names> > > > >What do you thing about celtic persons/things like> Thor,
Wotan, Freya,> >Sleipnir, Loki etc. (maybe that there are special>
translations, these are> >German expressions)? For symbolic things the runes>
(old celtic letters)> >could be used in a way. Perhaps in the logo?> >I like
this way of naming very much but while I'm> writing this: What about> >old
roman or greek mythological persons/things?> There are so many possible> >names
in this way...> >Greetings Eckard> > These are good suggestions.  I'd suggest a
running> list.  Set a piece of> paper or a StyledEdit text file aside and put
names> you like into it for a> few days.  Then submit it to the list and we can
all> peruse the names.  List> any names you like, for whatever reason,
especially> if the name has ties to> something we can identify with BeOS on an
emotional> or analogy-kind of> level.> > -Jace> > >