[GeoStL] Re: Pocket Queries

  • From: Jim Everman <everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:47:35 -0500

-
tklnhl wrote:

> -
> Thus the "clickin'"   LOL.
>
> This brings up a question ..  Do all of you Power Cachers, "cache cold"
> then?
> Do you all download the caches and THEN read them on on PDA or whatever on
> the run?
> How many cachers are there with say .. over 200 finds who ARE NOT paperless?
>
> We have to be more picky. I read the cache page and logs in the living room
> before heading out ..   and yes, being without much of a life I could easily
> see doing that all the way to ... wherever.  Click, download, print, click
> download print...
>
> Nancy

 Interesting.. I hadn't thought of myself as a Power Cacher until now,
but with over 500.. I will mention that my first 500 were found using
paper. I only recently bought a used Thinkpad, and now I need to
figure out how to use it.

 I like the paper and generally print the new local caches if there is
anything that needs to be worked out, but I also run a query for Slaga
territory and do the pushpin thing with GSAK and Streets & Trips.

 On the other hand, for a trip, I generally am interested in actually
getting there and am never sure when I might want to take a "cache
break". Trying to print all caches between here and Portland, then
down the left coast to San Diego (my brother's place) and back here is
a challenge. Then there are new ones next trip...

 I tried doing some PQs last night for a trip to Hillsboro, Ohio along
Rt.50, then back a different route. It was less than satisfactory and
at the end I was "click, note caches, click, note caches... download
cache data". I'll not print them, nor study then, but I have glanced
at them. And this is for a trip with no date for the time being. What
might be archived when I do go?

 I thought I had done a rilly, rilly good job on a Route 66 trip
once.. then when I started logging finds I found that in one section
I'd only looked for (and found) six of a set of 12 that someone had
done.

 But that was using Buxley's and trying to sort a bit as I went. Now
that GC.COM has their own maps, they seem work better for me. Swhat
(from Centralia) and I took a caching trip to Evansville, Indiana not
long ago. That was entirely paper, including maps made by stitching
lots of GC.COM maps together for the overall picture. That was the
trip that convinced me to invest in a laptop. :-)

 But little beats having a bunch of pushpins stuck in a map you are
also using to drive by. And I only use the laptop. It doesn't leave
the car, so paper is nice for those long hikes.

 Geo Jim

--
   Jim Everman       mailto:everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                     http://webusers.Anet-STL.com/~everman/