[eyedrumartcomm] show theme we discussed

  • From: Priscilla Smith <priscillagaysmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "eyedrumartcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <eyedrumartcomm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 16:55:05 -0400

At Sunday's meeting I mentioned Grady's desire to see an art show that
looked at the building as-is as a work of art. I talked to him yesterday to
try to get a better idea of what he had in mind. He didn't have anything
very specific in mind, but he did say words that suggested one approach
would be to commission 5 or 8 artists (Grady has offered to pay reasonable
$350 or so, stipends) to come in and "do one thing" to some current aspect
of the building, things like lighting or installing one of their works in
that context.

Here is an outline of a plan I'm suggesting. It's totally open for
discussion. I haven't presented it to him, yet, wanted to get input.

It has to be curated and mounted quickly, as we need to get ready for
September and October.

Announce the project (maybe call it "Existing Conditions", a reference to
contractor-speak)

Tell interested artists to make an appointment to walk through the space.
I'd make make myself available for a 24- or 36-hour period.

Get a one-page description of what they want to do, including time-line.
Emphasize using things as-is, creating a framework or context or way of
looking at the thing the artist wants to highlight more than making major
changes.

Jury the work. Who sits on the jury?

Give a 2 or 3-day time-frame to get the work done.

One weekend, provide guided tours of the exhibition.

We'd ask patrons to sign a waver. Safety would be very important, tours
would be by small group and guided.

PLEASE COMMENT

I think this could be really neat.

We need an electrician.