[ddots-l] Re: Your Vote for most Accessible Drum Machine

  • From: "Mike Tyo" <mtyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 22:49:30 -0500

Hey Mark,

Nice playing there! It kind of reminds me of the sort of stuff I was doing a
while back...And I believe congratulations are in order for your incredible
27-year run at the Hideaway Lounge! I'm not sure how many of us have that sort
of thing going on these days. I had about a 10-year deal with Panasonic Company
as a Technics Musical Instruments Concert Artist; and I've worked various
venues around my area for no more than five or six years max per venue at a
time. Perhaps I'll do better at my current situation; but that's going to
depend on what this economy does.

Anyway, I turned 55 in late December, but I don't think I would consider myself
set in my ways. I will say, however, that I'm comfortable with particular
setups, but if I can take advantage of something that might up the quality of
the presentation, I'll do it. Your sound is a good one; and I liked the vocal
as well. I have a question on your drum box. What is the maximum length that
you can write in a pattern? The newer machines give you up to at least 100 or
more measures. The reason I ask is that if you have the capability of writing
longer than say a 2-measure pattern, you could create them so they don't sound
as obvious when they loop back around. For example, I had an 8-measure
limitation on the Technics instruments; so if I were writing patterns in 4/4
time, I'd write a 7-measure pattern. I discovered that if I did that, you
couldn't tell when the patterns would loop back around as much in the overall
presentation. It didn't matter where the pattern was in time; if I wanted to
hit a fill-in pattern, the machine would switch to it on the next measure - or
if I hit it early enough in a measure, it would switch to it immediately. I
don't know if a lot of the drum machines will give you that flexibility; but I
thought I'd share this with you as I think it would humanize your drums a
little more if you had the means to write subtleties in the patterns. I wanted
to be able to do what you're doing with a Boss DR-660; but you're limited to
2-measure patterns. I want my ride drumming to be a little more human sounding.
Yeah I know; get a live drummer. <grin>

Oh by the way, I liked your guitar as well as it sounded quite realistic.

Hope you have 27 or more years to keep making that money and to continue to
enjoy doing what you do without having to fight with the instruments to get the
sounds you want.

Mike