[ddots-l] Re: Your Vote for most Accessible Drum Machine

  • From: "Mark Dew" <jmkeybd1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 10:39:15 -0600

Hey Mike, thanks for the kind words.
There are alot of  musical instruments and equipment available to choose from.
A man has to decide how he wants to perform and what he can aford.
I guess you can say, I'm from the old school.
I also feel sometimes we put too much in to the mix.
Sounding great is what we all are after.
But when you are working alone, sounding like a 12 piece band in my opinion is
unrealistic.
This is where I have an issue, using midi files even when they are well done
and played on a excellent unit like the Tyros5 or the Motif.
I have done some great midis but it bothers me to use them.
and it really bothers me to use commercialized files.
They aren't my work and I guess I feel like I am trying to fool the public.
Also, to have something locked in where it is played the same all the time.
I need flexibility and that is what works for me.
For me, I need to keyboards on the job and one of those must be a full 88 key
piano with the emphasis on the piano sound.
All of the rest is just gravy to enhance my performances.
I would like folks to hear me and say, he is really good at what he does.
They are listening to piano bass and instruments played off a keyboard at the
same time.
With the exception, of the drums, every thing else is played and controled by
me.
However even if the drums aren't live, it is still my work.
If I want to make a song longer or play a medley, it is not a problem
Maybe I might want to just cut up in the middle of the song, such as tteasing a
friend on the dance floor, I can do that with no issue.
For me, sounding great performing well and keeping my job is what is important.
I have a frien who plays professionally and he thinks it's funny to stand up
and put both hands in the air, saying look at me.
Why he does that, doesn't make any since to me.
To answer your question the length of a pattern, I'm not sure.
However I have done a full length song using a single pattern before.
If I wasn't so lazy in my older years, I could do a much better job with my
drum patterns.
The SR18 will allow the variation of the pitch of a drum pad, which would give
a human feel.
Because the SR18 is between  two keyboards, right in front  of me,  I can do
some  drum roll breaks live.
I am not a drummer, but I have gotten good at that through the years.
You can set quantize percentage which helps the human feel.
Some day I may perchase a Motif to use in my studio.
I would like to own one.
My wife says, I spend too much on my music habbits.
But what does she know any way?
At any rate, I am probably rambling on now so I'll just shut up.
Below is my personal email if you wish to contact me privately.
jmkeybd1@xxxxxxxxxxx