[CTS] Re: Spinrite

  • From: Cuffy10@xxxxxxx
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:04:26 EDT

In a message dated 6/10/04 7:48:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Madrachod@xxxxxxx writes:
Never heard of them.  Or are you talking about inner tube patches for tires?

                           Dale
Blowout patches were a little different.
During WW2 tires were severely rationed and difficult to find even if you had
a ration stamp to buy one.
We installed blowout patches, boots, or reliners to keep a tire rolling. They
looked like a large kneepad and constructed of several layers of canvas and
rubber. They kept the inner tube from bulging out through the hole in the tire.
They also went bump in the night, and the day, or when you drove the vehicle.
A reliner didn't bump as much. They looked like a tire made of canvas and
rubber but weren't a complete circle....... you installed them inside a bad
tire
and the reliner was longer than the circumference of the tire so you
overlapped the ends. Again you got the bump but the liner didn't unbalance the
tire as
badly as a blowout patch.

I think Russ is probably a little young to have remembered blowout patches
too. Vulcanized rubber patches in the tire casing and hotpatches on the inner
tubes were more in line with his era.

"Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you
don't. -- Pete Seeger"