[CTS] Re: Spinrite

  • From: Vernon Balbert <vbalbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:01:36 -0700

Madrachod@xxxxxxx wrote:

Depending on the hard drive, Spinrite can take days to complete its task.

By this, do you mean the make, or the size of the HD? Or possibly both factors?

Basically, there are three factors involved. The first is how big the drive is. The large the drive, the more cylinders will need to be reformatted and so it will take longer.

The second is how fast the drive spins. A 7200 RPM drive will write data to the disk faster than a 5400 RPM drive and will enable Spinrite to do its job faster.

The third factor is the data rate for the drive. This is by far the least important factor since when doing a low-level format on a cylinder there's not a whole lot of data transfer going on, but it does affect how fast the data is copied to and from the diagnostic cylinder.

Just read your entire input on Spinrite. Thanks again for the info. I just might be using said program soon. I've been having trouble with bad or missing sectors on the master drive for at least 4 or 5 months now, and it's only just turned one year old within the past few weeks. Reading your input only helps to clear up my understanding of it and make the decision to use Spinrite easier for me. Thanks again.

If it saves your drive and adds life to it, then it's worth the purchace price. It sounds as if you're a candidate for it.

Vern

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm