[citw150] Lesson 3 Question 6

  • From: <ashley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:06:19 -0500

Cookies

A cookie is a very small text file, not a program, which a web server can store
on a users hard disk.

Example of a cookie from newegg.com:

settings

List=&ALL=&browsestyle1=

www.newegg.com/

1536

3683172352

29893688

2964949168

29692692

*

Cookies are used by websites to remember your, by your I mean who ever is on
the computer, preferences and by advertisers to track your habits and make ads
according to your interests. Cookies cannot get information off your hard drive
they are just text files of numbers and letters. Nor do they have the
capability to spread viruses.

Cookies can be useful not only to web sites but to parents too. Parents can
track their children's Internet activity with cookies.

So as far as I'm concerned cookies can be annoying but useful at the same time.
Yeah, they collect data about what websites I am visiting but they also make it
easier and faster when I visit those websites again. I personally do not mind
advertisements using my cookies to make ads that are directed towards what they
think I am interested in. There would be advertisements with or without
cookies.

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/i-034.shtml

Ashley Anderson