[citw150] Re: Lesson 3 Question 6

  • From: Lee Nickels <nickels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 11:10:46 -0800 (PST)

Greg

Hello its Lee Nickels from you citw150 class how are you?

I also share you fears and concerns about child safety of the Internet. I have
four kids and its all I can do to try to watch what they are doing on the web.
I have concerns about children growing up to fast, do to what you see on the
web.I must of been 14 when I got my first look at a play boy magazine, now I'm
afraid to let my kids go on the Internet for fear of these adult pop-ups
jumping out in there faces. Sights like the one you recommended are heaven sent
to say the least, educating parents is a must. But I also believe that along
with new technologies like the V chip. That some of the more aggressive sights
and worst offenders of endangering or exposing our kids to inappropriate
content. Need a kick in the but instead of a slap on the hand. It always
surprises me when I hear of these cyber predators refereed to as repeat
offenders. Parents are responsible for there children. But its sometimes easer
to shoot the wolf, instead of firing the Shepard.

Thanks alot I really enjoyed topic.

Gsbutts@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,
One particular societal issue that concerns me involving the Internet is
child safety on the World Wide Web. Exposure to inappropriate material as well
as
physical danger from providing too much information on line is a constant
threat to our children. The Internet is a relatively safe place for kids yet we
as parents need to provide a certain amount of education and supervision to
help keep them safe. It seems most kids know more about the Internet than older
adults. The number one thing we can do to help protect them is to get online
and learn more about what is going on. Help steer your kids to sites that
were designed for their age group. Learn to understand the concept of
â??chatâ??
and try to keep them from divulging any personal information. Share in your
kids Internet experiences when they are young so the values you subscribe to
can
be carried on through their teenage years. For more information check out:
http://www.safekids.com .

Greg Butts

GREG BUTTS
"No matter where you go, there you are."
gsbutts@xxxxxxx

Lee Jay Nickels
nickels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men / Gang aft agley.