[citw150] Re: Lesson 3_Question 6

  • From: V73KMD@xxxxxxx
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:01:38 EST

Carnivore is a computerized sniffer used by the FBI, to monitor  e-mail
traffic, chat rooms, instant messages and file transfers.   It scans the
subject
lines and headers of millions of e-mails per  second.  The system  also
identifies relevant communications among  selected individuals as part of a
criminal
investigation.  The  listening process is passive, because it  doesn't alter
any
data, and  doesn't prevent any messages from continuing on to  their intended

destination.  Many privacy advocates are concerned about the  use  of
Carnivore.
Since 9/11 and the pass of the USA Patriot  Act, however,  federal authority
has broadened the use of Carnivore for  Internet  surveillance.

You can find more information about Carnivore at the  following web   site:
_http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networksecurityprivacy/l/aa071900a.htm_
(http://compnetworking.about.com/od/networksecurityprivacy/l/aa071900a.htm)

-Jenny Fitch

"When photographing in color you show the color of  their clothes,  when
photographing in black and white you show the  color of their  soul."
SxyAbrcmby@xxxxxxx (Jennifer  Fitch)

I feel this Patriot act just gives the FBI more  reason to use carnivore. I
am sure it will cause more headaches in court, just  like wiretapping and
bugging rooms-same principal!
Mark Maas

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: 9-11.jpg