[citw150] CITW 150 L3 Q4

  • From: b m <taz61080@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 18:00:39 -0700 (PDT)

Class,

I found this one interesting because as I was searching through all

of the hoaxes, I had previously seen most of them, while this was the

first time that I had seen the one about exploding gel candles.

Subject: IMPORTANT INFORMATION - Gel candlesThought you all should read this
for your own safety.Hi all, My former secretary had a terrible thing happen to
her and herfamily last week, and I wanted to share it with all of you so that
you could be warned and warn your friends and family as well. She had a
gelcandle burning in her bathroom...it exploded and caught her house
onfire...the house burned down and they have lost everything. The fire marshal
told her that this is not the first incident where a gel candle has exploded
and caused a fire. He said that the gel builds up a gas, and often times it
explodes and sets fire to the room it is in, which is what happened to her. The
fire was so hot it melted the smoke alarm, and they didn't discover the fire
until there was an explosion, which was her toilet blowing up, and then it was
too late...the entire upstairs was engulfed in flames. Smoke damage and water
damage have destroyed what wasn't destroyed by fire. I know that ther
 e are
 roomies and friends that I don't have on this list because I can't remember
how to spell their screen names...please pass this along to anyone I missed. I
wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. Her family isdevastated. All their
mementos and everything of value and meaningare gone. I'm not trying to scare
anyone...just a friendly warning to all of you about the use of gel candles
left unattended. Thanks and take care.NOTE: Marty and I know a lady who loves
the gel candles. She hadone burning on her mantle and it caught fire just like
in the message above. She was at home at the time and saw it happen and grabbed
the candle to keep it from setting her home on fire and it came apart in her
hand. She suffered third degree burns to her hand and 3 fingers! Please, if you
or anyone you know have these candles, don't light them, they are dangerous.
Please, pass this on.

Bradley Miller

"Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten."
?Education in 1984? New Scientist 21 May 64

Yahoo! for Good