[bookshare-discuss] Re: Books and Beyond Interviews Dave Lieber Wednesday, January 9, 2008>

  • From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 14:31:32 -0800

Thanks, Monica!
liz

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: Monica Willyard [mailto:rhyami@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 12:44 PM
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: Books and Beyond Interviews Dave Lieber
Wednesday, January 9, 2008>

Hi, Sue and Liz. Liz, I don't know if you know this, but the Friends Of
Bookshare project is completely funded and operated by volunteers at
Accessible World. It is completely separate from Bookshare in a similar way
to how a friends of the library group works to serve and support a public
library. We are very aware of the needs of our deaf blind friends as Pat
Price is hearing impaired herself. Sue has been gracious about teaching me
about how a deaf/blind person does things and has helped me with some of my
experiments to make technology work for us. For most of our events, one of
us types up a summary of what took place, including contact information for
the guest speaker.

I'm so glad that Elizabeth is working on Jim's interview. It is indeed long,
and so many ideas are packed into that time that just summarizing the chat
with a paragraph or two wouldn't work well. I think Elizabeth is working on
actually writing out what Jim said, and I'm glad she's willing to do it. I
have written summaries of several of our previous chats with various people
but knew this one was beyond my abilities. I was in a car accident 8 years
ago and have a permanent injury to my spine. I can't type more than 10 or 20
minutes at a time without pain. So I was thrilled to see someone else step
forward to help.

We do care about both of you ladies, and we'd like to find a way to include
you in the activities on Accessible World. We don't have the funding to hire
a transcriptionist right now. If you have ideas for making this work better
for you, I know Pat wants to hear about them. Her email address is
pat@xxxxxxxxxxxx . We're not giving up on finding a solution here.

Monica Willyard