[bookshare-discuss] Re: Books and Beyond Interviews Dave Lieber Wednesday, January 9, 2008>

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:21:07 -0500

Rick, I tried doing this several times when the Bookshare room first opened, using both Dragon and ViaVoice. Voice recognition software has to be trained for each person's voice, and it didn't handle the chats well at all, even with just three people in the room. The chat with Jim was very content-rich, with 2 hours of solid content and a wide range of voices and volume levels. Voice recognition software just isn't advanced enough to handle this type of work yet. Give it ten years, and maybe we'll have that ability.

Monica Willyard

Rick Roderick wrote:
I wonder if any voice recognition software could be used to produce a rough draft for a volunteer to use in transcritpion. I realize that someone would still have to listen to the session to figure out who was talking. To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank Email to bookshare-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx