[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on Scan quality for blind vs other types of disabled bookshare readers

  • From: "Lora" <loravara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:31:54 -0700

Hi, Jamie,

I know that Pratik mentioned that we should preserve the font for our
learning disabled readers, but the more I think about this, the more I
wonder if it's necessary.

When I was teaching blind and LD students, I found that every learning
disability was by its very nature unique.  For instance, a font or color or
print size that worked for one person might not work for another.  Thus,
whatever the settings were for a document, users with learning disabilities
usually tinkered with the document until they found just the right balance
of color, font, letter size and so forth to meet their needs.

As for the remainder of our readers, seems to me that most either have the
text read aloud, in which case you usually just don't care about font, or
read it in Braille, in which case font becomes irrelevant as well.

I wonder if we do too much to try to preserve fonts and font sizes, when
this information doesn't typically convey the same information to a blind or
LD reader as it does to a sighted person.

Other examples come to mind.  For instance, books read by RFB&D or NLS
rarely make any reference to font, unless they are reading a specific table
or other piece of data that makes heavy use of font.  Even then, they're
more likely to convey that information differently.

Likewise, Web Braille books transcribed by NLS rarely make use of font
information.  Similarly, books from NBP don't contain such information.

With all of this in mind, I think it's a better plan to focus on making the
content of the book as accurate as absolutely possible.

Just my two cents.  I haven't consulted Bookshare policy on the matter.

  _____