[bksvol-discuss] Question on Scan quality for blind vs other types of disabled bookshare readers

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:15:24 -0600

I have some general questions regarding what is considered an 'excellent scan.'

As one of the few sighted bookshare members, I'm realizing that what constitutes an "excellent" scan for me may be far different than what is an excellent scan for a blind member.

So, here's some very basic questions that I have, and associated thoughts.
smile.

1. Do the screen readers (JAWS, etc) make any distinction between font sizing, font type and page alignment (e.g., text aligned left, text aligned right) in a book.

2. Do .brf files code in any of those things (font sizing, font type and page alignment)?

3. 2. Do Daisy files (and the associated html files) code in any of those things (font sizing, font type and page alignment)?

I'm asking because these things do make a huge difference to the readability of a scanned book to a sighted member.

In several of the books I've validated that were rated excellent, I've found numerous fonting and formating problems that made the book incredibly difficult to read for a sighted reader.

If fonting (size and font type) and page alignment are stripped out when the files are converted to .brf and daisy files (and the associated html files created by Daisy), then I'm wasting my time as a validator correcting those kinds of problems.

However, if fonting and alignment are carried through, and it isn't obvious to a blind validator or member that this is happening, the quality of books will be vastly inferior for sighted members, and this will surface as an issue as Bookshare's member list expands to include more disabled users that are sighted.

So - that's why I want to know what happens with fonting and page alignment.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or insight into this.  smile.

Judy s.
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx