[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on Scan quality for blind vs other types of disabled bookshare readers

  • From: Misha <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 20:12:34 -0800

Cool, modern screen readers are as sophisticated as other types of programs, and if necessary blind readers can get pretty much all the information out of a page sighted readers can. But, OCR programs for all their sophistication still can do weird things like changing font, size, bold, line spacing, and so on where there is no actual change in the book. So, at least for general fiction, I'd accept changing everything to one font and size. Paragraph indents can be very useful. Changing chapter headings to a larger size or to bold is nice. Trying to duplicate things like drop caps (the big capital letters, usually in a fancy font at the beginning of a chapter) is definitely not necessary. It's usually just the publisher (not the author) being pretentious, Ok, that's just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.

Misha